Sunday, June 6, 2010

Why does it have to be Rafa or Roger?

This is the question running through my mind this entire fortnight. Why cant I just be neutral and really rejoice the tennis of these two extraordinary men?Of course, they both are two ends of the spectrum. Rugged and ruffian like, Rafa exudes power, stamina and sheer might. Roger on the other hand, demonstrates finesse, touch and class and everything else that Rafa doesnt.
Being a former player myself, though nowhere close to that calibre,(I must add)I dont take sides. I dont have favourites. The best player wins on that day. I dont understand hero worship. I can admire a perfectly executed shot or go gaga over one of the longest rallies at the French, but taking sides kills the thrill, in my view.
The other day one of the parents came up to me and told me that he cannot even watch Federer's matches as the tension is overwhelming and his blood pressure rises.And then comes all the sad smiley faces posted on facebook page when Federer lost to Soderling.
What is it about Federer that makes grown men cry and feel so sensitive? He is surely not a man's man. Not muscular. Not all that handsome. Not flashy. No,not one bit flashy. Is it because, for 6 years straight, he was featured in the semi-final of every Grand Slam or is it his mastery of almost every shot in the book? Or could it be that he is just a perfectly clean tennis player? Devoid of any gossip or scandals? Does he ever not get injured? Mind boggling. Just think one minute....
He didnt miss a Grand Slam in almost 6 years and got to the last four in all of them....And without a regular coach.
Rafa's fans are just as vociferous . My fitness trainer exclaimed today" Rafa won it again".He is "The Man". To me, what makes Rafa stand apart from his many peers is the way he adapted his game to suit grass. There have been some real serious clay court icons like Bruguera and Guga. But what makes Rafa special is the way he served and volleyed his way against Roger in Wimbledon in 2008. That blows me away.
Both these guys are spectacular and amazing personalities. I still can't pick my favorite out of these.....

1 comment:

Priya said...

Well said. I have to admit that I am also one who swung between Rafa and Federer, trying to get a fix on who is better than who, then when my kids started playing tennis, I realised how many different facets there are to this game... how unfair we are as fans to these great players expecting them to win every other shot they play... leave alone the event.