Saturday, September 11, 2010

Terrible Modern Day Journalism

Venus Williams, as you all know, lost in 3 sets on a windy day to Kim Clijsters. Kim, fighting from jaws of defeat, fought her way back and raced to the final. In the post match press conference, some crazy dude asks Venus-if her career is over?? Now- hello!!!! This is just one match and its the semi-finals of US Open where Venus just lost to someone who handled pressure and winds better on that day...So what kind of a stupid question is that?? Quit tennis-because of losing one match??? Venus herself, may have doubts after this loss, no doubt. And then Martina Navratilova comes on tennis channel- Oh-I know what it feels to hit 30 yrs old, now it is very tough for Venus. Where is the gray area here?? As I have said before- it doesnt have to be black or white always!!!

Now this is something else..
There was an article in a pretty low profile paper in India and trust me, it was pure coincidence of a rare kind that I even came across this particular news piece.

This was about more than 3 weeks ago while I was training 5 hours a day at the tennis camp in Balewadi.
The article was quoted as " Nirupama Sanjeev as she now prefers to be known was Nirupama Vaidyanathan when she was at her peak and studying in the United States. Some nine years ago when she was most sought after woman player in India Nirupama found no time for the country. Those days we had very few ITF tournaments and national championship was prestigious at least for the sentimental value, but Nirupama’s patriotism never showed up then. No doubt she came once in a while but then those were prize money tournaments and then she vanished only to reappear last year."

Needless to say,I was livid. Apart froma personal attack on my patriotism, this author seemed to have taken a personal grudge against me.
*Firstly, He never bothered to research his article-Any quick google on me would have showed up that I had most appearances for Fed Cup for India, played 2 Asian Games and Olympics for India. Does this dude even know what it is like to do something without ever getting paid for it?
*Secondly, if writing about CWG Games and its preparation- wont a responsible journalist at least come to watch us and then write opinions?
* I dont recall playing ANY prize money tournaments in India since 1994.I quit playing seriously in 2003.
* I think if he ever wants to feel "PATRIOTIC" ( sorry-I am still quite edgy with that word), he should start by being a responsible journalist first. What do you all say???
Can somebody like him even understand what it is like to play 12 years for India without any expectations??????

The author, who I am told, is even the Sports Editor of that paper!!!!

No comments: